Friday, January 29, 2010

Touring The States: Omaha, NE

The Basement Society is a collective of emcees whose Hip Hop origin is a direct result of being in "the basement." This crew was a predetermined idea of Omaha emcee, Superior DBX.
After presenting the idea to long time friend and fellow emcee, Jay Money. things started to come together. The crew consisted of DBX (RIP), N-tellect, Jay Money, Kee Lo Z and All Ayz (RIP).

The Basement took the streets by storm after running around challenging anybody who wanted to battle and smashing the competition. They became known for their live performances, which brought them household name status. The Basement's first recording was a song called "Its Over" on 1993's "Parental Advisory" (the first local project release), on which they dissed the Young Rebels, another prominant Omaha crew. After beefin' with the Young Rebels (and a few other crews), Basement Society released their debut ep "Who Downstairs?" in April of 1994, which started out on a successful path. "Who Downstairs?" was probably the most popular project released under the watchful eye of DJ Suicide, at that time, selling all copies out of the store (no hand to hand sales), relying on heavy street promotions and the impact of the live shows to sell the units.

A recording contract was being discussed with Ichiban Records back in 1995, but interference from a long time associate of Jay Money and DJ Suicide killed all negotiations. Toward the end of 1995, Basement Society returned to the studio and recorded 3 new songs for a maxi-single called "Raw Power Move." But, due to conflicts within the crew, it was never released. The Basement never broke up, but certain members went their seperate ways. In 2000, all 5 of the Basement members appeared on stage together, impromptu, of course, at the Black Sheep/Das Efx concert in Lincoln, NE. This appearance alone outshined the opening act.


Da Basement Society - Who Downstairs? EP (1994)

Program One:
01. Straight Out Da Basement '94
02. Dat's Da Biscuit
03. Backstage Pass
04. Payin 'Em

Program Two:
01. 24th Street
02. Pass Da Bat
03. This Is Just A Shout Out
04. Dat's Da Biscuit (Remix)

Preview:


DOWNLOAD

-- Markshot

8 comments:

  1. Thank you a lot for the good write up. I've always liked this crew but I never knew the story behind them. Now I know, thanks Mark! And as mentioned before, I really enjoy your "Touring The States" posts.

    Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could swear I heard a few of these tracks before.
    Bangin shit, man.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys.
    Now i realised something, that i forgot to mention that this write up was taken off their myspace page.
    So it was easy for me to do c/p :)

    Glad you diggin this.

    -Markshot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm feeling this, good looking. Definitely going to check for more of their joints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo, this is Jay Money (the one on the cover with the beads). I don't even have a cassette copy of this anymore. I mean, I got the DAT Tapes, but, I don't have a pressed copy. This blog shocked the shyt out of me. Im glad cats is still listening to this. And yes, the story was taken from the myspace page, but, it's not the entire story. The myspace gives you a full account. Peace and Much Respect to the.t.r.o.y.blog. Im going to make this project available on CD soon. "Who Downstairs?" was some of our hungriest times. The music on the myspace page for Basement Society is the material we were going to release to follow "Who Downstairs?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I just downloaded the whole joint. Most artists would be mad, but, Im happy as hell. Now I got our first joint on the computer. I dont know who the hell runs this blog, but, thank you for keepin' our shyt heard. I just hate that two our our members passed on, because we'll never be able to drop like that again. P.E.A.C.E!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I finally gave it a full listen this weekend and I'm really feeling this and I'm going to definitely check the myspace for more music. I'll be rocking this on the radio here starting this weekend. Good looks Markshot for putting me up on it. Peace to Jay Money for coming thru and adding on, you were killing those verses. peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Jay Money,
    You are welcome. We are always open to present some dope hip hop which have been slipped off the radar for one or another reason.
    I mean that is the main point why im doing this Touring The States series.
    I'm happy you spotted this post.

    @ Kevin Beacham,
    Thanks Kevin, glad you found enjoyment in this one. Keep following this series, i will provide some more dope stuff. I think you're enjoying more in this kind of stuff, which is more similar to NY hiphop, rather than gangsta/g-funk ish.
    I promise i will find something for you in the future.

    :cheers:

    -Markshot

    ReplyDelete