Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Source: January 1993 Issue





After many re-up requests at THIMK over the past year and an invite from Mr. Philaflava himself, I’ve decided to post some old Source magazines right here on the T.R.O.Y. blog. We’ve decided to kick this off with the January 1993 issue, which is the 1992 year in review. I’m not sure about many of you but mid 1991 to late 1992 was a very significant time for me while a sophomore/junior in college and music played a huge part in that. From what I read, to how I dressed, to my socio-political views, my religious beliefs, and even how I ate; I can tie them all back to a particular, artist, album or lyric from that time period. Does music still have that kind of impact today? I almost killed myself trying to find a way to get home from college every other weekend just so I could visit Sound of Market and/or Funk-O-Mart to purchase the latest album The Source had advertised or reviewed and also get their latest issue. This was back when their rating system actually meant something and when my friends I literally fought over the ratings. Just take a look at that list of the supposed best albums of that time period below:





My personal top six albums (in no order) from ’92 would be:



RedmanWhut? Thee Album (4.5 mics, November ’92 issue)

GangstarrA Daily Operation (3.5 mics, June ’92 issue)

Boogie Down ProductionsSex and Violence (4.5 mics, March ’92 issue)

Pete Rock & CL SmoothMecca & The Soul Brother (4 mics, May ’92 issue)

Diamond - Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop (4 mics, November ’92 issue)

Showbiz & A.G.Runaway Slave (4 mics, November ’92 issue)









Enjoy the issue if you haven’t read it already. You can also read the gibberish I previously wrote about this issue here, so click that before you download it.

pw=thimk



Source January 1993 issue



-- Vincent Lopez



13 comments:

  1. so dope. i still own this. good looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea it does say that in the article doesnt it. duh. Thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  3. what up vincent, i see u still makin power moves kid!!
    yo TROY yall have a gem with Vincent, his Source Collection is to what DJ Clark kent collection of AF1's. word up!
    but 1992 was just dope, i started to pay attention to hip-hop in '92, but things will start to get real in '93.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Im gonna have to go and find all my old copies of The Source in the attic. It was a dope magazine back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very very interesting. i love this period of hip hop. can´t get enough from this material.
    thnx from germany

    ReplyDelete
  6. 24KGOLDSLUM.... Give it another try, it just worked for my right now.
    That happens with megaupload sometimes. Usually just wait a little, try again, and it will work.

    Great to see Vincent Lopez on here with the mag rips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey nice to see another Source post. It's a lot of work to scan a magazine, thanks!

    Vincent IS ''The Source''..

    THIMK and grow rich...in consciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks alot Vince

    Mecca & The Soul Brother is my pick from those albums

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep... I still have this one myself. I must've read this one 1000 times over when it came out, lookin' at it each time like I was gonna discover some new shit. I wish they'd continued the 'top 5 lp's' thing every year, but they only did it in the '91 and '92 issues. It was interesting to see certain artist big up albums that I (for whatever reason) couldn't picture them listening to, like Too Short naming the Brand Nubian joint in the '91 issue.

    But yeah, '92 was a big year for me- I was 12/13 and was really gettin' into the music, so this issue brings back a lot of nostalgia.

    -D!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How can I please get the entire archive of your back issues???

    madstepdad@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete