Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sounds Like The 90's (Volume 4)


I think I did it this time. No really, I know I've said it before but I really mean it, this might be the best Sounds Like The 90's yet!

Volume 4 starts of with vintage Raekwon spitting over the classic "UFO" by ESG, which can be found on the latest MF Doom album "Born Like This." Daniel Dumile's rapping is nowhere to be found on the track so I couldn't live with myself if I didn't title the track the way I did.

And while we're talking about MF Doom, word is he no longer using the "MF" and he requested all the letters be CAPITALIZED in his name. I say until he stops fronting with his imposters at his live shows then I can't acknowledge his request, so MF Doom it is. With that said, MF Doom comes in second with "Gazzillion Ear." The hiatus was one of the best things he's done for his music, now let's just hope others follow (cough, Ghostface).

My homie Superstar Quamallah who also appeared on Vol. 3 as makes a glorious return here on Vol. 4. Once I heard the track I knew it would be perfect for Sounds Like The 90's. "88 Soul" will be on his fourthcoming EP perfectly titled ''88 Jordans With A 93 Tempo."

I'm not familiar with Danny Brown and I'm usually hesitant checkin' out new cats using their Gov't names but the dude can rip. "Contra" might start-off sounding a bit Def Poetish, but I assure you before the track ends you'll hear both Danny and Elzhi rip the track to shreds. And having the 30-man code for Nintento's Contra in the mix is an added bonus if you ask me.

Another Motown native and soon-to-be the next "it" emcee steps up with "Heat." If you aren't hip to Finale you will be soon. "A Pipe Dream And A Promise" is about to drop and you all need to check it out. It's one of my favorite albums of '09.

Things get a little grimey with the Primo laced "Too Strong,"Saigon's warning shots "Prepare For War," the latest by Slaughterhouse (Joe Budden, Royce Da 5'9, Joell Ortiz & Crooked I) "Wack MC's" and Reks' card pullin' "Killaz On Wax."

Right before you think the mix is headed in one direction we flip the script and bring in the ever soulful swagger of Brother Ali on "Good Lord." If Daryl Hall (of Hall & Oates fame) could rap he would be Brother Ali. Regardless of color, Ali is one of the best rappers doing it today but I'll be damned if he isn't as soulful as the pale greats Michael McDonald, Peter Centera & Bobby Caldwell.

CunninLynguists leaked two tracks off their new album Strange Journey Vol. 1 that I thought were too good to pass up for this volume. Plus it doesn't hurt to show some Southern love every once in awhile, especially when its well-deserved. I'm a huge fan of Kno's production and after you listen to "Georgia (Remix)" and "Don't Leave" you'll understand why.

Project Blowedians Abstract Rude and Open Mike Eagle provide the much needed balance on the mix that set-ups the best thing to come out of Calgary since Brett "The Hitman"Hart, Dragon Fli Empire with their ode to hip-hop duos "2-Man Team."

I thought it was only fitting that we included Joell Ortiz covering the classic T.R.O.Y. and close it out with another Focus "homage" track to none other than Pete Rock.

Yeah I know, I own this compilation thing right here. I do this for all of you. I feed off you too, so please don't stop with the support. Tell us what you think and leave comments (good or bad). If you're an artist and you got a dope track then send it our way because we're working on Sounds Like The 90's (Readers Edition) featuring all reader submitted material. But for now, enjoy this here mix! --Philaflava

[click image to download]

Sounds Like The 90s Volume 4

01. Raekwon - Yessir (prod. MF Doom)
02. MF Doom - Gazzillion Ear
03. Superstar Quamallah - 88 Soul
04. Danny Brown - Contra feat. Elzhi
05. Finale - Heat (prod. J Dilla)
06. Blaq Poet - Too Strong
07. Saigon - Prepare For War
08. Slaughterhouse - Wack MC's
09. Reks - Killaz On Wax
10. Wale - Word Play feat. Curren$y & Tre of UCB
11. Brother Ali - Good Lord
12. CunninLynguists - George (Remix) feat. Khujo Goodi & Killer Mike
13. Jay Electronica - Exhibit A (Transformations)
14. CunninLyngists - Don't Leave (When Winter Comes) feat. Slug
15. Abstract Rude - Rejuvenation
16. Mike Eagle - iRock
17. Dragon Fli Empire - 2-Man Team
18. Oh No - Smile A Bit feat. Posdnous
19. Joell Ortiz - They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y)
20. Focus - Homage To Pete Rock feat. Rapper Pooh, Sha Stimuli & Kurupt

8 comments:

  1. Even though I have pretty much all these songs and listen to a few them a lot... I still love these mixes. Looking forward to a bunch more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shout out to Ed Catto?

    ReplyDelete
  3. dope mix.. but any chance of getting these as actual compilations that group together in itunes, in order, instead of 20 random tracks that end up scattered all over the place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how to customize this for itunes since this wasn't created in itunes. All of the tracks are numbered though. Besides a lot of people like to pick and choose before they import every track into their itunes library. These mixes are really made to be burned but given the fact they're all numbered it shouldn't be time consuming to put them in any mp3 player in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, it's not massively time consuming, but when i drag it into itunes (for instance), all the tracks end up in alphabetical order by artist. it's fixable by just finding them, selecting them all and grouping them as a compilation (and then going into each one and giving it a track number) but i guess i'm just lazy.

    don't let this sound like i'm whining though. the shit is quality. kudos and props.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty much why I don't use itunes - too many comps & mixes. They's be all over the place.

    Thanks fot the SLT90s. I'm kinda like your mates that listen more to the old stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, This is great! "I Rock" is awesome. Finding new music always makes my day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Danny Brown shit is hard as fugg

    ReplyDelete