Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Top 10 Tracks I've Produced by LG

For those that don't know LG aka The LG Experience is the man behind many classics you probably weren't aware of. He has produced for Big L, 2Pac, Nas, Ill Al Skratch, Boogiemonsters and Big Daddy Kane just to name a few. He also happens to be the brother of one of the greatest producers of all-time, Easy Mo Bee.

LG was down to guest blog this week and give us his top 10 list along with a breakdown for each track. Some of the shit you're about to read is pure gold. You can't ask for much more than this so if you're a fan of Rakim Told Me then you'll appreciate some of these details.

10
. Don't Shut Down On A Player- Ill Al Skratch (New Jersey Drive Soundtrack)
I did this beat after watching a pre-screen of the movie New Jersey Drive.They filmed that flick in Brooklyn, so I made some shit that sounded like home.


9. The Weekend - Dave Hollister (maxi-single)
My nigga Teddy Blend was managing Dave and hit me wit an accapella to see what I would do and they was feelin that shit.


8. Pass Pass Le Oinj (Zenith 98) - Supreme NTM
I did alot of beats for Supreme NTM, but this is one of the tracks I was really feelin. I don't know what they was saying( hey rhyme in French) but I could tell they had a flow.


7. Earth,Wind & Fire- Big Daddy Kane feat. Shaqueen & AB Money (Veteranz Day)
Kane gave me a CD wit some dude playin acoustic guitar and said do something with that. I played the beat for him the next day and he went crazy!! It's probably about ten different records being used on that beat.


6. One Love(LG Main Mix) - Nas
I did this remix after an Ill Al Skratch
session, so I just had my peoples Ken Staten sing the hook. He also sang on Where's My Homies.



5. Nigganometry - Canibus (Can-I-Bus)
When I did that beat
I didn't have the original Willie Hutch joint. I took that shit straight off The Chronic.


4. Lyrical Gymnastics- Big Daddy Kane (Daddy's Home)
I did this and the album title track for Kane right after he left Cold Chillin to go to MCA. He was feeling Where's My Homies, so I used the same sounds for this beat.


3
. Out On Bail(Original Version) - Tupac
This
song was supposed to be on the Me Against The World album, but it didn't make it. My brother Easy Mo Bee & AB Money took me up to Pac's Hotel to play some beats for him. He took the first track that came on and said let's record it tonight. Eminem remixed it for Loyal 2 The Game and chopped Pac's words to make it sound like he was saying Em, he was really saying LG.


2. I'll Take Her - Ill Al Skratch feat. Brian McKnight (Creep Wit Me)
I did this beat on some radio type shit cause we knew one of the r&b artists on Mercury was going to be on it. Originally it was supposed to be Joe on the song.


1. Where's My Homies - Ill Al Skratch (Creep Wit Me)
I remember hearing Mr.Cee, who lived in my building cuttin up Playing Your Games on his show with Mr. Magic on 91.5 in NY. After that I had to fuck with it. Coincidentally, Mr.Cee was the one who broke the record.



Honorable Mentions:
Strange (Stranger Mixshow Mix) - Boogiemonsters
I did this track by just muffling the change in Playing Your Games(Barry White). We all did that a lot back then. I also produced 3 songs on the album with Derek "LA" Jackson who the Boogiemonsters were signed to at the time. Derek produced the album and had an incredible keyboard player play all the instruments. We all know him today as Scott Storch.


Dr. Feelgood - Ill Al Skratch Feat. Greg Nice, Nine, M.O.P. & Kid Capri
I did this track in Al Skratch's crib. Nobody believes me when I tell em that beat is Hangin On A String By Loose Ends. Kid Capri got on it because Al Skratch knew him from Uptown. Nobody knew that nigga Al Skratch was a crazy DJ.

10 comments:

  1. thanks for the tracks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra dope look! Never knew he was Mo Bee's little brother. Super excited for that joint with Kid Capri and Nine. Please do more posts like this.

    I'm sure this dude has some interesting stories...

    http://www.discogs.com/artist/Rashad+Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do more of these breakdowns. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do people know what LG Experience means?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the liberty to ask him. Here's what he said:

    "About my name L.G., that's the name of the housing projects I grew up in. Lafayette Gardens in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who can certified that the "Out On Bail"'s (tupac's demo) song been recorded before "qu'est ce qu'on attend" (Supreme NTM) ?? cuz it's the same beat.. I don't care about the year of release.. ;)
    thnx for excusin my french..
    Peace ya'll..
    *

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow im reall impress you produce really dope tracks that i listen everyday
    specialy ntm,they are my fav.and i dont understend french but i feel the music.if you read this can you tell me which tracks you do for NTM.much respect. btw i just get today SUPREME NTM 1998 cd original from paris.1 !

    ReplyDelete
  8. LG Experience=Lafayette Gardens, which was the housing projects that Patrick Harvey (aka The LG Experience) grew up in.

    Dope post, I don't know how I missed this last year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the man!!! First of all the Boogiemonsters Strange remix has always been my favorite joint, and i still cant believe that dr feelgood is Loose Ends sampled...

    ReplyDelete