Friday, July 24, 2009

Who Flipped It Better? Moaning Samples

As a throwback to the first volume of The Moaning series, we're bringing you a dope sample used on one of the top cuts on that mix. Props to these guys for posting the sample I had been looking for. We hope to bring you more volumes in the moaning series soon, but we got lots of treats on the way. So, let's keep this moving and tell a friend to tell a friend that T.R.O.Y. got that good dope.

Norman Connors - Butterfly Dreams

Ahhh, now that's some nice, laid back, waking up on a sunny spring day with a goddess by your side, type hit. Norman Connors is good for that sailing on a yacht feeling music. Shit, he's even pictured on a boat on at least one of his album covers. The intro, before the sample in question, sounds like a great little piece to freak, too. I wonder if it's been used?
Support the artist here. I would suggest any of his albums from the mid to late seventies, of course.

Example - Slow Motion

This is probably my favorite one. I have no idea who produced it, but the entire EP that this came from is dope. This is different from the other ones in that they sped the loop up and got some nice sounds, besides the moaning, out of it. This guy, Example, was out of Houston, and this EP was the only music I ever heard from him.

Akbar - Mothaship

Yeah, this is another nice one. DJ Shame, of Vinyl Reanimators fame, laced this one up lovely. Akbar tells a story about seeing a U.F.O. that turns out to be the Mothership arriving to take him back. I think. It's a good track, peep it for yourself.

Blaque Spurm - Nonoxynol Rhymin'

Okay, well, the name of the group wouldn't be as suspect if they didn't actually have a song called,"Pack Ya Shit". Whoa, jack. Anyways, if you can get past all of that, this is a pretty dope crew and a decent working of the same sample. They get extra points for the low budget sound and the addition of this sample-

David Porter - The Masquerade Is Over (this one can have it's own sample blog)


Personally, I rate these in the order that I posted them in.
#1 = Example
#2 = Akbar
#3 = Blaque Spurm

Let us know who you think flipped it best in the comments.

--Verge

4 comments:

  1. I think that intro was used by Pete Rock on Deda album in track "Mark4Death

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's correct, but Deda doesn't rap on this
    Ex Cons & Meccalicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous- Thanks, that was stupid on my behalf.
    The spot I found the sample at and linked in the post had that Deda posted, but I didn't use it because it sampled the intro, not the moaning.
    And then, I say, "I wonder if someone sampled that?"
    Dult I be.
    :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. coma-chi (japanese femcee) used this sample, too

    i upped it here.. very dope

    http://www.zshare.net/info.html?71620075-e9a09c8961d232817c9c55fdae6b3bfe

    ReplyDelete