Thursday, December 18, 2008

Chino XL Spotlight



I always thought that the best freestyles were of the improvisational, pre-written variety. I admire the fact that certain artists can kick some shit off the top without any preparation, but in most cases, I find that it's not really worth listening to.

Some of my favorite pre-written, improvisational freestyles come from the likes of Tame One, O.C., Ras Kass, Percee P, Craig G, etc, but if I had to choose a favorite, I'd go with Chino XL. I consider Chino to be a legendary MC, but I don't know if I'd feel that way if not for all of the outstanding freestyles that he blessed us with via the Wake Up Show, Stretch & Bobbito, Hot 97, etc.

Here are some of my favorites. As a bonus, I'm also listing 18 of his best non-album tracks. Enjoy!

Freestyle #1


Freestyle #2


Freestyle #3


Freestyle #4


Freestyle #5


Freestyle #6


Freestyle #7


Freestyle #8


Freestyle #9


Freestyle #10


Freestyle #11


Freestyle #12


Freestyle #13


Freestyle #14


Freestyle #15


Freestyle #16


Freestyle #17


Freestyle #18


Freestyle #19


Freestyle #20


Freestyle #21


Unration-al (Art Of Origin)


No Slow Rollin' (Art Of Origin)


Into The Pit (Art Of Origin)


Mad At The World (Art Of Origin)


Purple Hands In The Air


Dark Night Of The Bloodspiller


No Complex (Wild Style Remix)


No Complex (Kutmasta Kurt Remix)


No Complex (King Tech Remix)


Kreep (Video Version)


Dirty Linen


Deliver


Why'd You Wanna Go There?


Jesus


All Bullshit Aside w/ Superb


Provoke The Extreme Verse


Rappers Are In Danger


Never


Here is everything in two mediafire folders:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3m4mdj5eyj2
http://www.mediafire.com/?inmmjazz3wn

--Roy Johnson

6 comments:

  1. Yo Roy, this is excellent. Good work, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is unbelievable. I been looking for 'Deliver' for years.I had it on a tape once in the 90's and I never heard it again.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Roy! Maceo1ne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wicked stuff. Did "Never" ever make onto wax?

    Bad Cop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad Cop - I don't think that this one ever got released on wax. There is no discogs entry for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot damn! I had been looking for that "All Bullshit Aside" joint for so long. I have it on this old nightrain show tape from like '98. Mad props for sharing these gems. 1!

    ReplyDelete