Thursday, November 12, 2009

Tall Dark & Handsome - Jackson 5


Does anyone recognize a track that sampled the beginning of "Darling Dear" by The Jackson 5? The melody and the "La La La" singing?

Back in August, I posted on the "Track ID" thread from the T.R.O.Y. forum looking for the track that sampled it. I mentioned that the track was probably from the late 80's or early 90's. At first, I thought that it was Three Times Dope but after going through their albums, it wasn't. I was still pretty sure that it was done by a group. After 5 days, no one replied so I asked again. Fellow T.R.O.Y. Bloggers Cenzi, Verge, and another forum member said that it didn't ring a bell to them.

Today, November 7 as I'm writing, I don't really remember what triggered me listen to this track but I went on Youtube to hear Tall Dark & Handsome (self titled track) from their 1988 hip-hop album on B-Boy Records. As soon as the track started, I remembered that it was that song that I was looking for 3 months straight. I knew that I wasn't dreaming.. It's definitely a classic 'ahead of its time' type of joint! If you want their album you can buy the Traffic Ent. Reissue from 2005. I still included a link courtesy of bustthefacts for those who wants to give it a quick listen.

Peace,


Tall Dark & Handsome - T.D.H. (1988)

- Thomas V

3 comments:

  1. am i wrong or this song was on one of the very first compilation on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @stexdo- It's possible it could have been on one of the Ego Trip compilations that Admiral had posted near the birth of our blog.

    This track really is way ahead of it's time, IMO.
    That soul singing sample, shit, I could definitely see someone sampling that in this decade.
    Dope shit, man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edan used the song for his radio show mix. Great stuff. You can check them both out on his myspace.

    ReplyDelete