Monday, September 14, 2009

Positive K - A Good Combination (Kan Kick Remix) 1995



Download

I first heard this version on a random remix compilation that was posted on WYDU in '07. I had the song in constant rotation but I never knew where it was from and when it was made. Since I knew that it wasn't on Positive K's first album "The Skills Dat Pay Da Bills", I though to myself, could he had released it on 12".. maybe in '95? I tried to do some research but nothing came out. A couple months after that, a Positive K compilation "Back to the Old School" was released on CD. I immediately saw "A Good Combination" on the tracklist. Once I got my hands on the CD, I immediately skipped to the track, and guess what? It wasn't the same version that I knew. I was really dissapointed even though I had just heard the original '89 version. So after that, I though that it was probably just a homegrown remix. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I found that "remix" version on youtube labeled as the Kan Kick Remix. It was from Side B of DJ Babu's Comprehension Mixtape from 1995. I immediately went to download it and when i heard it, all that searching was finally over. I cut the part from Side B and labeled it as a single mp3. It was in a way better quality than the one I had way back.. I can't even listen to the original when I hear this remix. The original seems too plain compared to the Kan Kick version.

Peace,

-- Thomas V

9 comments:

  1. woooow.. kicked the original in the aaasss

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont know man i prefer the original....you talkin about a ten year difference here....and personally i love the 86 87 version...its hard as shit....

    this is on some lord finesse buckwild type mid 90s steez....totally different...i wouldnt even compare em....

    Ko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kan Kick is a pretty dope producer.
    This remix is effin great.
    I put it on CD awhile ago and had it blasting for like a week or two.
    Great remix.
    The original is a classic to me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kankick is a dope producer, I had no idea he did this remix, thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very dope track, kankick killed it. Thanks yall

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are sooo damn right. i love this track. peace

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across this somehow about 9 months ago, and it proceeded to rule my life for a couple months. I think this version of the song is magnificent. One of my favorite songs, up there with "Doomsday" and "Diamonds and Wood." The original is a bit clunky to me, and I didn't realize it until I heard this version. This song is fucking beautiful the way Kan Kick flipped it. Pos' rhymes are invigorated over it too - he sounds way better. It's like peanut butter and bananas. You don't know how great it is until the flavors merge, and you're left with some next shit that you were not prepared for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dope, I was wondering myself this whole time who the hell did that version

    ReplyDelete
  9. thx so much for that track. diggin kankick a lat. one of the best producers ever in my opinion. peace

    ReplyDelete