Monday, October 20, 2008

T.R.O.Y. Guest Blogger w/Jean Grae

Last week we brought you Blockhead and his 3 stellar mixes. This week we bring you none other than Ms. Jean Grae and her Top 10 90's Hip-hop tracks To Wallow In Pity To.

10. Mobb Deep - Where Your Heart At feat. Kool G. Rap - Whoooooooo killer. This actually could make me go buy Henny. This shit sounds like a henny dipped blunt. On a hot summer night coming back to Brooklyn over the bridge, everyone in the car is just quiet, looking
out the window. Yeah, that!

9. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Searching - I think because of the whole "Searching" Roy Ayers sample. Just theme of it. It's pretty in a sad chord sort of way.

8. The Boogiemonsters - Old Man Jacob's Well- Dark and creepy.

7. Eminem - Just Don't Give A Fuck - I don't. Cept when I do, then I
have to listen to this song to remember why I don't and that it's ok. Like a mantra.
Miss Em.. Miss him.

6. De La Soul - Millie Pulled A Pistol On Santa - Yeah, this song is
just...man.. it's amazing storytelling and hey I'm not Millie, so that makes life better.

5. Organized Konfusion - Black Sunday- I have to explain?

4. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnite - It reminds me of my senior prom. I went alone, had a crap time, then ended up walking home in the rain alone. The one good moment I can remember, is when this joint came on. We were on the boat, the whole dance floor was just dark and EVERYONE was feeling this shit. In a dark NY nod your heads, dance with your headdown and one hand up sort of way.

3. Nas - Drunk By Myself - Aww lemme tell you. First off, this bootleg
version of The Lost Tapes is one of my all time favorite things. It kinda got me through
the weird point I was at. This song was what I wanted to do, except I don't drive and if I did, I would certainlyNOT keep my firearm under my seat for the coppers to get.

2. Jean Grae - Keep Living - It's the first solo song I wrote after Natural Resource was no more. Real different from what we were doing as a group and turned out to be a great piece of talk therapy for me and a real excellent way to end a show. Plus, it's ended beef and made
grown men cry.

1. Jay-Z - Regrets - Guru ruined this for me at the Nokia show where
RIGHT before everything started, he whispered in my ear, "he's doing
the whole album backwards!!" I was like, "Aww man, you couldn't have waited 5 seconds for me to be surprised!?!?!" But it was cool, cause I could have missed it by going to the bar.

Got your own top 10 list? Post it here.

Got the Jeanius album? Buy it here.

For more info about Jean Grae check me out on Myspace.

--Jean Grae

8 comments:

  1. you guys keep surprising..great list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love jean more than murs says he loves jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Co-Sign Number 7,3 & 1, "Drunk By Myself" is one of my favorite Nas tracks of all time (top 10 easy). And Kool G. Rap wasn't in Where Your Heart At?? he was on The Realness (my shit) tho, unless there's a different version I dont know about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you more than all these fellas, trust. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drunk By Myself is the greatest self wallowing song of all-time. I used to play "Drop" and "Runnin'" by The Phayrcyde a lot in those situations

    ReplyDelete
  6. jean grae is freaking awesome

    ReplyDelete