Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Source: March/April 1991



Here’s another T.R.O.Y. blog exclusive for everyone. And I definitely kicked myself for not buying and reading this back in ’91. I remember the main article’s topic was heavily debated, on a daily basis, when I was back in college. I had friends that were members of the Five Percent Nation, Nation of Islam, Orthodox Islam, Christianity, and a few atheists and agnostics as well. And when you mix hip-hop, women, weed and alcohol at midnight with guys trying to debate religious ideologies, it’s not a pretty sight. Let’s suffice it to say that I was present for quite a few heated arguments and fights regarding this. That’s why I’m upset that I never had this issue to bring to the table. It’s not only an informative article (that should have been printed in its entirety) but it puts hip-hop into a broader perspective. What I’ve always loved about the music is that everyone has a chance to be exactly who they are and present themselves to the world regardless of race, nationality, religion, gender, etc. And The Source never missed a beat in its earlier days and was always on the cutting edge of discussing hip-hop in politics, society and religion.








On another note, I truly missed another gem in this magazine; the Large Professor article. Back in ’90, I accidentally found a couple of Main Source vinyl singles at Funk-O Mart and it was on from there. But I didn’t find out until later that he was producing for Kool G Rap’s Wanted: Dead or Alive and Eric B and Rakim’s Let the Rhythm Hit Em albums and that he wasn’t being properly credited for his work.




Also, you can watch a recent interview with Large Pro here:

http://vimeo.com/10621706


To see him with all that gray hair is really getting to me since we’re the same age and I have gray hairs popping up all over my head as well!








Source March/April 1991 issue

If you're looking for something else, then head on over to THIMK.


And don’t forget, the pw = thimk.


~Vincent Lopez~

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting, I missed this issues and they are amazing to read.

    I loved the Source at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What I’ve always loved about the music is that everyone has a chance to be exactly who they are and present themselves to the world regardless of race, nationality, religion, gender, etc." I agree 100% with that statement. Totally on point.
    Sadly, there have always been (and still are more than ever) rappers who can't be real, and we have the bullshit misogyny and homophobia and straight up fronting from a slew of rappers.
    Thanks a lot for these, Vince! They're really ace, man. It's sad what Benzino did to the Source but these old gems show that it was one of the best magazines out there in its time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo, also, I thought you might like to hear this story:
    On your previous post, the issue of The Source with the Digable Planets debut review, I cropped out the photo of their group and enlarged it. I uploaded this image to Facebook, where I have Doodlegbug from the Planets added as a friend. I tagged him, and when he saw it he left a nice comment...

    Doodlebug Digable Planets:
    "wow look how young i was?!! those were good times...thanks for the flick..."

    I told him:
    "Haha no problem! My co-blogger Vincent Lopez at TROY scanned it from his own copy; I just cropped this out and uploaded it here. My favorite picture of the Planets.
    Thanks for the music you have made and continue to make!"

    First time I typed a word to the man. Props, Vince!

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting reading on the DU review about new crew member Toupac.

    ReplyDelete