Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Meters - Samples Volume 1



The Meters are one of those groups that turned me into a compulsive collector of late 60s/early-to-mid 70s soul-funk and jazz-funk. After hearing "Cissy Strut" for the first time, I was hooked, and I made it a point to track down everything in their instrumental discography. I'll be compiling at least six volumes worth of Meters samples over the course of the next month, so check back on a regular basis.

The Meters - Samples Volume 1
1. The Meters - Cissy Strut
2. King Tee - The Coolest
3. Del - Same Ol' Thing
4. NWA - Niggaz 4 Life
5. Mr. Complex - Why Don't Cha (Instrumental)
6. The Meters - Here Comes The Meter Man
7. Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane
8. Run DMC - How'd Ya Do It Dee
9. Digable Planets - Black Ego
10. The Meters - Cardova
11. King Tee - Can This Be Real (Remix)
12. Chubb Rock - Mr. Nobody Is Somebody Now
13. The Genius - Feel The Pain
14. King Tee - Ko Rock Stuff (Instrumental)
15. NWA - She Swallowed It
16. The Meters - Live Wire
17. Gang Starr - Cause And Effect
18. Big Daddy Kane - Troubled Man
http://www.mediafire.com/?jzrummizinz

Preview:

The Meters - Cissy Strut


The Meters - Here Comes The Meter Man


The Meters - Cardova


The Meters - Live Wire


Props to dirt_dog for the ill cover!

--Roy Johnson

3 comments:

  1. Dirty Dogg is doing these covers nicely!!

    I loved that Digable Planets loud ass drummin' and now to hear it orginally is nice! I look forward to volume 2..

    Yeah an dthat Chubb Rock one too.. I kind of expected the producer of that track to have worked a bit harder but that shit was srtaight jacking for beats..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I heard the Meters was the start of my digging hobby. Around 89-90, my Pops was listening to some music and all of a sudden I heard the drum break from Big Daddy Kane. Turns out he had the Meters first album, mint condition, sitting in the attic for years I always over looked it. As a young drummer and budding break fiend, Zig's simple yet complex drum patterns were mind bending. Amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're killin' us! I "discovered" The Meters around 90-91 when I was in school through friends/djs that would play. The Meters grooves are beyond incredible...Cissy Strut has been my ringtone for like the past year...thanks!

    ReplyDelete