Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

A few months ago I shared with you my security blanket, this month I'm going to share with you some of my guilty pleasures.

Everyone has a few albums in their collection they've been questioned for liking or you might even question it yourself. Maybe it's an album that received lukewarm reviews or an album you flat out know is bad. Maybe it's an album most people have grown out but regardless you still appreciate the fuck out of it.

I have a few of these in my collection and I have no problem admitting they are some of my most listened to albums. The first one is what I like to think of as the ultimate summertime soundtrack. Ill and Al were far from dope lyricists but they had swagger and even though this album only has 12 songs, it centers around three standout tracks and the rest were either remixes or they switched some of the lyrics around to make them appear like different tracks.

I remember hearing "Where My Homiez?" (click for video) play constantly on Yo! MTV Raps and every time I'd have to stop what I was doing to watch it. When I said Creep Wit Me was a great summertime album I meant it.

Whether you took a ride down Fulton Street or A1A this was the ultimate backdrop. I distinctly remember taking those late-night trips to Denny's with the crew after a night of partying & bullshit. I remember the weekend excursions to the beaches rockin' the Nike visor cap (as seen worn by Al in the video) that became popular in the summer of '94 or how right before a game of b-ball we'd get amped to "Creep With Me" (title track) because the Snoop sample was the definition of perfection. I remember making the quintessential date night mixtape that had both "Summertime (It's All Good)" and "I'll Take Her" featuring Brian McKnight on there.

Yeah, Ill Al Scratch were the shit and Creep Wit Me is my guilty pleasure for sure.

[click image to download]

Next up is an album that most of us probably grew out of by 1996, but not me. What's crazy is that when the album dropped (1994) I was in 10th grade and I remember thinking how dope this little kid was but now after doing some research I found out the kid is actually older than me.

Shyheim aka The Rugged Child was born in '77, in Brooklyn. His affiliation had everything to do with his semi-success in rap as he was considered the youngest Wu-Tang Clan affiliate in the game. If you remember back in '94 the Wu phenomenon was absolutely crazy. Also having Ghostface Killah as your cousin couldn't hurt either.

Shy moved to Staten Island from Brooklyn living in the Stapleton Houses, where many Wu members lived. At the age of 14, Shy recorded his debut "On & On" for Virgin and months later the album, AKA The Rugged Child dropped. All but one track was produced by RNS. Many may not know about the RNS and that is the way he likes it. He's never been into the spotlight but that doesn't mean he didn't deserve it. RNS has worked with other Shaolin artists such as UMC's, GP Wu, King Just and RZA's Gravediggaz. It's also been mentioned serval times that RNS was the one who taught RZA the art of production.

AKA The Rugged Child is an album I thoroughly enjoy and even though I'm three decades old and cannot stand listening to kid rappers, I'll never turn my nose up to some Shyheim. He might have been young at the time but unlike many kid rappers Shy had some great tutelage and never came with those infantile raps.

So if you're new to the album I suggest you give it a shot. Some of my favorite cuts are On & On, One's 4 Da Money, Napsack, Here I Am and Headpiece. I've also added some b-sides and remixes for your listening pleasure. --Philaflava

WHAT ARE YOUR GUILTY PLEASURES??!!??!

[click image to download]

Bonus Tracks:

On & On (DJ Premier Remix)


Pass It Off (Underground Remix) feat. GP Wu & Big Daddy Kane


Licka Shot


One's 4 Da Money (Remix)


GP Wu - Hit Me With That Shit (Remix) feat. Shyheim


Shit Is Real (Remix)


Shaolin Style (Remix)


20 comments:

  1. i cant front either - i like that Ill Al Skratch album too. Nice production. Anybody got their 2nd album available to post? Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  2. both are great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavy D's "Peaceful Journey" has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Even though it has 'message' tracks and the classic "Don't Curse", I've always felt guilty for enjoying the cheesy Teddy Riley 'New Jack Swing' cuts as well.

    I'd also say MC Lyte's "Act Like You Know" album as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of feel like those albums are way too good and legit to qualify as "guilty pleasures". Give me Domino or Ski Lo or Coolio or SOMETHING that's worthy of guilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of mine's is Group Home's Livin Proof LP!!
    Primo did a out of this world job on production on this album. I can jam "Supastar" all day on repeat and never get tired of it. I remember when i 1st heard it, it somethin that i never heard of before. its just pure classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Da Lench Mob - 'Guerillas In The Mist'
    Extra Prolific - 'Like It Should Be'
    Hard 2 Obtain - 'Ism & Blues'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Double XX Posse - Ruff, Rugged, And Raw

    ReplyDelete
  8. someone already said Skee-Lo

    and wtf Blazed Out? Extra Prolific? That album is a classic - no need to feel guilty son

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the Extra Prolific is dope too Nathan Smart but of all the Hiero albums that one gets no props. The only track that I have ever heard anyone give props to is 'First Sermon'. Next time I lsten to it I will open my windows for all the world to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't see why Da Lench Mobb is a guilty pleasure, that album was RAW.

    I got some shitty guilty pleasures... don't laugh too hard...

    Home Team - Pick It Up (have you heard those ryhmes!!???)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj08r8Kpwis

    Partners in Kryme - Turtle Power (I'm old man! I grew up playing with these shits!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFsTr0kGAqU

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah the first Da Lench Mobb album was fucking great. Not much replay value these days but absolutely nothing that should be classified as a guilty pleasure.

    Home Team is a good call. But they only had one hit (Pick It Up) and if not for that Dres sample nobody would have cared anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i bump that Ill Al Skratch on the regular.
    on the topic of kid rappers, another guilty pleasure of mine is Illegal's album.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh...i almost forgot my guiltiest pleasure is prolly bumpin some Lighter Shade Of Brown tracks haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fuck what anyone says, Lighter Shade Of Brown "Homies" is a great song. What a beautiful use of a well-known but clearly perfect sample.

    As far as the two albums that were profiled, I have to say that neither should be a source of embarrassment to their owners. Both were solid and have aged well. -- Thun

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cru - Da Dirty 30. Don't know why i consider it a guilty pleasure other than def jam treated it like one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Kwame's "A Day In A Life"...yeah yeah yeah, I know.....

    I was also a big fan of Redhead Kingpin's "A Shade of Red" from back in the day. "Pump It Hottie" was my shit.

    I guess Pete Nice & Daddy Rich might fall in this category as well, but always loved most of that album

    ReplyDelete
  17. Young MC - Stone Cold Rhymin

    now that´s a guilty pleasure

    jasper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joeski Love - Joe Cool
    Little Shawn - The Voice In The Mirror
    Two dope albums but cats don't think they hard enough!!
    Love the Redhead Kingpin 2nd album especially track Get it together-
    Slammin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A guilty pleasure of mine is Milkbone - Keep it Real. I love the beat and the AZ hook from Life's a Bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Man, I was just mentioning this shit in the forum.

    if y'all aint on it, listen to MC Macho Man Romeo's "Ah freak Out"

    ReplyDelete